Saturday, January 21, 2012

Why style & illustration?




There are a lot of personal style and fashion blogs out there.  You can find pretty much anything you're looking for-- daily outfit posts, blogs for petites, male fashion, blogs by style consultants, models, people in and out of the fashion industry and anything in-between.  Now I follow some of these specific types of blogs myself: personal style?  Check.  Petite?  Check.  I particularly love fitting room reviews and haul posts.  I decided a while ago that I wanted to start a blog that in some way related to fashion.  But I never felt like any of the particular niches already designated really were for me.  Besides, there's a ton of that stuff already out there.

In addition to the development of a nasty shopping habit, I've started to draw less and less.  I used to be really good at drawing, I promise.  But that's probably not true anymore, and there's a point to this.  Any outfit photos I've tried to take always look like I'm taking them in a seedy basement, so I decided I would try and combine my loves of… wait for it… fashion and art!  Instead of taking photos, I'd draw my ideas!  (Just a note, I do plan on still using photos, but also using illustrations.)

In starting this blog, I have a few goals:

ONE: Draw more regularly.
What I've decided to do is mostly forego photos in favour of illustrations.  So although I plan on covering topics mostly relating to personal style, I hope the accompanying illustrations will lend a bit of a different flavour than is typical of most personal style blogs.

TWO: Stop buying things so many things.
I'm getting to a point where I feel good about what's in my closet.  Rather than getting my fashion fix by buying new stuff, I plan to use this blog as an outlet.

THREE: Write audience-based content.
I also feel like I have something to contribute to the conversation on personal style, and I'm gonna contribute it!  I feel like I've learned a lot and want to pass on what I've learned, so I'm going to try to contribute lots of tutorial and tip-type content rather than just outfit posts.

So that's why.  And it'll be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog template by YummyLolly.com, modified by vitaminJ.