Saturday, January 26, 2013

Style Supplement: How to shave pants (or deal with stubborn lint)

Greetings from Toronto!  I just had my first interview in this area, and had some free time this evening.  The clothes I brought for this trip are based around a palette of mint, rose, black and grey.  I brought a pair of grey fleece leggings with me, but they looked terrible after being worn constantly under... everything while I was in India.  (Also my brother wore them for a while.  India was cold man.)  They were covered in lint and pills and were generally gross.  I tried a lint brush to no avail, so it was off to Google.  I learned of something called a 'sweater shaver', but thought that was too complicated.  Now, dear friends, what else shaves things?  That's right.  A razor.

HOW TO DEAL WITH STUBBORN LINT AND PILLS

1) First try washing your item and see if that helps.
2) If it doesn't, use a lint roller or some tape if you wanna be MacGyver-ish about it.
3) If you still can't get those fuzzy balls of frustration off, grab a disposable razor.  Now run the razor along the surface of the item in short strokes, as though you're 'shaving' it.  The pressure you should apply depends on the material of your item and what you're trying to remove.  With my fleece leggings, I found I had to press fairly hard to get the lint off, and it didn't ruin the material.  Try it out on a less visible area first.

Success!  I was very, very skeptical about this and couldn't believe it when it worked.  But it does!  Who needs a sweater shaver now?  (As a disclaimer, I've never used a sweater shaver and I have no idea exactly how well it works.)

Try it and let me know it it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog template by YummyLolly.com, modified by vitaminJ.